Saturday, May 27, 2023

Visiting Butzbach

From 1961 to 1964 my father and grandparents were stationed at Schloss Kaserne in Butzbach, Germany. It's only an hour's drive from where I now live, so we went up there this past weekend. I was curious to see what remains of the base, which was closed down in 1992.

We parked outside the square in the city center and walked in.
From there we walked to the east, toward where the Schloss Kaserne base used to be.

After walking through the area, we drove to the address my father said he'd lived at. It was one of these three buildings.

From there, we drove back home. For me, the highlight of the day was getting this picture of the spot where the entrance had been.
On the left is the main gate in 1955. [Source]
On the right is that intersection today -- the corner of Griedeler Straße and Am Planetenbrunnen.

No comments: