Thursday, July 20, 2023

Armenia trip -- Day 2c, Cascade

On your approach to the Cascade, the first thing you see is the a statue of Alexandeer Tamanyan -- the aeoclassical architect and city planner who designed Yerevan's belt of green spaces and parks. After him is a park that contains several sculptures. My favorites were the lion made of old tires and this guy, piratiest pirate who ever pirated.

He reminds me that sometimes, depite your best efforts, your job sometimes takes more than you bargained for. From there, you go up. There are several intermediary stops along the way. What seemed like unkempt overgrowth from far away was actually a series of flower beds. When you get to the top, you can see the shadow of Mount Ararat, where Noah's ark is said to have settled. The view of the city is equally impressive. This is the Memorial to the 50th Anniversary of the October Revolution. Once I had climbed up, I was concerned about how I would do getting down. What I thought was a great accomplishment was actually not that impressive for the many other people who seem to go up fairly regularly.

No comments: