Sunday, July 02, 2023

Summer trip 2023 - NJ grandparents

Having gone out to eat at a buffet the night before (which my father loves), we spent some time at their house. And since my daughter remembers making peanut butter cookies with him during our last trip in 2016, we of course had to do that again. After that, we went to the Wheaton Village -- a glassworks museum. The south part of New Jersey is like Florida in that it's flat and very sandy. While that doesn't make for fantastic farmland, it *does* make for a fantastic glass industry, and several members of my family (including my father) have been employed by it.

I liked the paperweights on display there. Before air conditioning was widespread, paperweights were used to keep paper from flying out of open windows.

In addition to the museum, there's also a furnace where glassblowing techniques are still practiced.

In the afternoon, I asked my father to take us to the place where my great-grandmother was buried. She'd passed away when I was 13, but in all the time since then I'd never thought to visit it.

As my dad explained, the extra plots next to theirs were intended to be for my grandmother, my grand-aunt Anna Mae, and my grand-uncle Elmer. However, the opted to be buried with their spouses elsewhere, so those plots remain empty.

No comments: