Friday, November 05, 2004

Obama Watch

Sen.-elect Obama (D-Ill.) won his election with the biggest margin ever in Illinois history, and is currently the only senator with African hertiage. I didn't realize it, but he makes only the third since Reconstruction ended.

I heard his keynote address at the Democratic national convention was pretty good, so I found it online and read it. Link. I agree; at 46 years old, he's definitely one to watch, and if he can establish himself well in Washington, I wouldn't be surprised to see him in a presidential primary in 2012. I'd vote for him.

His GOP opponent Alan Keyes was pretty huffy about it. Link. He blamed the media and his fellow Republicans for his loss (I can't say that was very gentlemanly), but I can think of two better reasons why he wasn't elected: 1.) His Republican predecessor quit in some sort of sex-business related scandal, and 2.) He's not from Illinois, and never lived there. I mean, what did he expect?

No comments: