Sunday, February 13, 2005

Grandpop, Day 9 - Yongsan

OK, I got my grandpop transferred to Yongsan. It was a little rough at first because they had to do all those same blood tests and junk they had to do at both Osan and Samsung (he probably has enough holes in him to qualify as a new species of sponge).

Plus, I had to talk to him about how embarrassing it is to watch him play those silly verbal games with the female staff. (Not this specifically, but you know the kind -- "Sex?" "Not right now, ha, ha, ha...") At one point I told him straight, "Come on, just let the soldier do her job." He calmed down after that, but I was still on edge.

Finally, we got him set up with a bed in the spacious, almost palacial, facility that is the 121st Army Hospital. Compared to the Samsung ER, it was almost ... cold. Isolated. Eerily quiet. At 6:00, I had one of the nurses order him a meal from the cafeteria, and -- mission accomplished -- left him for the evening in the company of about half a dozen nursing staff, all at his beck and call.

I had a little trouble calming down when I got home. My apartment was messy, so I cleaned up the entire place before finally collapsing on the couch.

No comments: