Friday, March 28, 2014

Two command interviews in one week

This past week I interviewed for positions within two different battalions in three cities. There was the HHC in my own battalion -- the one I had been offered back in October (long story on that one), plus two other positions with a battalion that's located in Daegu.

The Daegu battalion also has an HHC opening, though I was less interested in that. What really piqued my interest was a new unit they are looking to stand up called the Yongsan Support Detachment -- a unit that would replace the 595th Maintenance Company as it closes down in September.

I was excited about this because it would allow my family to move to Seoul, which is where I joined the Army from and where my mother-in-law lives. It's also where we've been going to church since we first got here last April -- an hour and a half drive each way.

Professionally, it would also be a neat job, since it would mean standing up a detachment similar in size to the one I led in Tarin Kowt. Plus, when my command time comes to an end, I might be eligible for a position on the USFK staff.

So right now SY and I are hoping for that position. The HHC here is Pyeongtaek would be number two. The one in Daegu is third.

No comments: