Friday, April 11, 2014

Never a boring day

Today's big news is that one of the incoming company commanders pulled out. He was slated to take over his company in June.

This is a significant event, and quite unexpected. Unfortunately, it does not mean that I get my command as originally scheduled -- it just means that the battalion's last remaining YG08 guy gets his command. As a YG09 captain, I can't begrudge him that.

But why would someone give up an opportunity at command? This is an interesting story, and highlights the dilemmas a junior captain faces in Korea.

For him to take the Korea command, he would have had to do AIP and then extend on top of that. Instead of just doing one year in Korea, he'd do two and a half. For me, that's not bad, but not everyone feels the same way I do about Korea.

Instead, this fellow will end his time at the one year mark. He's already lined up a command at his next duty station, and -- from what I understand -- it's a much easier situation. Instead of the only medium truck company in Korea, he'll be in charge of an AIT company. (That's the thing you do right after basic training -- strict, but it's not like basic.) It's not quite as glamorous, but it still qualifies as "key developmental."

It's a good thing for him, and by making space for all the other officers here in Korea it's good for us. I wish him well.

I just wish he'd decided that earlier.

No comments: