Monday, March 27, 2023

Spring break trip 2023 (D1: Trier)

For spring break, I wanted to do a road trip, but I didn't want to go too far, and I didn't want to pack in too many activities. Here's the five-day plan I came up with:
  1. See Roman ruins in Trier, eat lunch there, and then continue to Luxembourg in the afternoon.
  2. Spend the whole day in Luxembourg
  3. Drive to Verdun. Along the way, visit World War I sites.
  4. Spend the day in Verdun.
  5. Drive back home.
We got to Trier around lunchtime, and parked at the Mercure Hotel's garaage. Porta Nigra was just across the street. Continuing south, we walked through the market plaza. As we walked through the city, I tried to point out the different architecture styles for Paul because he's taking a Human Geography class this year. However, the fusion of different styles in the Trierer Dom and Liebfrauenkirche was difficult to sort out.

From there we got lunch at a restaurant called Kartoffel Kiste.
After lunch, we went past the Kurfürliches Palais (the Electoral Palace) which is an example of the rococo architecture style. It was built between 1757-1761, and the palace garden has copies of baroque sculptures.
From there we went to the old Roman Ampitheater.
The center of the amptheater is a huge circle, with "locker rooms" along the wall.

I probably should have figured out how to do a panoramic shot before this moment.

From the ampitheater, we went to the Roman baths, and took the city bus back to the parking garage. After checking into our hotel in Luxembourg, we went downtown for dinner.
We ate dinner at a places called Charles Sandwiches. It was good, but I spent €8 on two cookies while I was checking out, and am still kicking myself for it.
Although Luxembourg is considered one of the "Low Countries," it's geography is anything but low. The city is divided by elevation into the Upper City and the Lower City, with the Alzette River separating the two.

No comments: